Bettina Judd is an interdisciplinary writer, artist and performer whose research focus is on Black women's creative production and our use of visual art, literature, and music to develop feminist thought. Her current book manuscript argues that Black women’s creative production is feminist knowledge production produced by registers of affect she calls “feelin.”
She has received fellowships from the Five Colleges, The Vermont Studio Center and the University of Maryland. She is a Cave Canem Fellow and has been nominated for the Pushcart Prize in poetry.
Her poems have appeared in Torch, Mythium, Meridians and other journals and anthologies. Her collection of poems titled Patient, is a collection of poems that tackle the history of medical experimentation on and display of Black women. Patient won the Black Lawrence Press Hudson Book Prize and was released in November of 2014. As a performer she has been invited to perform for audiences in Vancouver, Washington, DC, Atlanta, Paris, New York, and Mumbai.
- Bettina Judd, You Feelin Me? Knowledge and Being in Black Feminist Oceanographies, UW Geography Colloquium Series, 2019.
- National Women's Studies Association, Annual Conference, 2019.
- “Sapphire as Praxis: Toward a Methodology of Anger.” Feminist Studies 45 (1): 178–208.
Black, Purple, & Gold - Exploring Black Student Life at UW
Adviser: Bettina Judd
- Patient. New York: Black Lawrence Press.
- “GLOSSOLALIA: Lucille Clifton’s Creative Technologies of Becoming.” In Black Bodies and Transhuman Realities: Scientifically Modifying the Black Body in Posthuman Literature and Culture, edited by Melvin G. Hill, 133–49. Lanham: Lexington Books.
- GWSS Assistant Professor Bettina Judd's poem, "Not My Ancestors," featured by the Academy of American Poets on Poem-a-Day - October 20, 2021
- Tiffany Lethabo King Lecture "Other Intimacies: Black and Native Feminist Flesh" - April 8, 2021
- Bettina Judd quoted in Today.com article "How this Black doctor is exposing the racist history of gynecology." - June 30, 2020
- Bettina Judd, Ph.D. presenting talk for UW Geography Colloquium Series - October 8, 2019
- Feminist Studies issue features article by Assistant Professor Bettina Judd - May 22, 2019
- National Women's Studies Association (NWSA) Annual Conference 2018 - November 9, 2018